Nick is constantly jumping in front of a video camera. At first I thought he was just really full of himself, but then I realized he’s doing it to show you how to take care of your stuff.
- Hometown: Morton Il, grew up on the family farm in Delavan Il
- Wife: Laurie
- 9 years at Caterpillar, 19 years heavy equipment mechanic
During and after college, I worked at several dealerships. I started off working on Case IH farm equipment, then worked for 2 Cat dealers, and spent 4 years with a large contractor. I spent a few years rebuilding transmissions and hydraulic components, but I really enjoyed working out of my field service truck. It's always a challenge to diagnose and repair the equipment quickly and correctly. I also enjoy the interaction with the customers and operators, learning what things are important to them, and then helping them get the most out of their equipment.
Most of my time at Caterpillar has been focused on helping Cat dealers, Cat customers, and technicians understand and improve their shop and field operations. Things like technician training, work order management, component and machine management, and life cycle costing. About ¾ of my time is spent in the office, working with dealers and customers remotely, the other ¼ is usually on-site, reviewing first hand their operation and offering ideas and concepts for improvement, whether the it is to the bottom line, production, equipment up-time, or cost avoidance.
My favorite things to do outside work:
- Spending time with my wife and family
- Cruising around on the motorcycle with Laurie
- Hunting and fishing
- Restoring old motorcycles
- Not building the house (just finished new construction project)
- Anything I can work on in my shop
Favorite Vacation Spots:
- With kids: Anywhere we can enjoy each other, last year was Gulf Shores, AL
- With Laurie: Had a great time in Australia, thinking Mexico soon
- Hunting Trip: Northern Canada for archery black bear (bow fish for shark is next on the list!)
- Yes, the red hair is all natural (so is the gray)
- Have to try to do everything myself first (see house building project)
- Coached my kid's teams in soccer, baseball, and softball
- Technical Committee board member and actively involved with Skills USA